Back in January I posted an image with a PLU sticker that we have all seen on various produce at the local grocery store. What made this image stand out were the codes to show if the consumer was buying organic, from a farmer or grove and if the produce was a GMO or Genetically Modified Organism.
Last month I posted yet again another gallery of images on the potentially harmful effects from GMO. Today when going through the word press reader there were a few post on the recent victory in Europe. It would seem that agricultural giant Monsanto has been banned, permanently in all of Europe.
But sadly not in the US. Last week the bill went before the senate and was defeated 71 to 27. The bill would have allowed each state to decide if they wanted to require food labeling of GMO’s.
The Supreme Court ruled on May 16, 2013 in Monsanto’s favor against a 75-year-old farmer for patent infringement.
Justice Elena Kagan wrote the Supreme Court’s unanimous ruling, which denied Bowman’s claims that Monsanto’s patent was exhausted since he bought his seeds from the grain elevator and not the company itself. She wrote: “Patent exhaustion does not permit a farmer to reproduce patented seeds through planting and harvesting without the patent holder’s permission.”
So where does that leave us?
On the consumer side, its clear GMO foods are not wanted here in the US and in Europe.
So how could 71 senators vote against a bill that would allow the consumer to decide if they want to buy and consume foods that are GMO’s.
One thing is for certain, those who march against Monsanto, signed petitions, formed rallies do not let last week’s decision defeat your cause, deflate your passion, slow your fight. Instead use the landmark decision in Europe to push even harder. Avoid stores that sell GMO foods, and brands that support GMO’s. Buy local, ask questions its your right.
Pass the word, keep talking your voice is being heard, don’t give up!
This is only the beginning……
- Monsanto Concedes Defeat in the Face of Europe’s Fierce Opposition to GMOs (thedailysheeple.com)
- Hungary torches 500 hectares of GM corn to eradicate GMOs from food supply (blacklistednews.com)
- Monsanto: Profits Above Human Health (thepeoplesvoice.org)
- The Politics of GMOs and Food (thepoliticalplate.wordpress.com)
- (VIDEO) The Venezuelan people said “No to GMOs” (revolucionalimentaria.wordpress.com)
- NaturalNews – Mike Adams – Hungary Torches 500 Hectares Of GM Corn To Eradicate GMOs From Food Supply – 1 June 2013 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)
- Hungary Torches 500 Hectares of GM corn to eradicate GMOs from food supply (aworldchaos.wordpress.com)
- Mike Adams ~ Hungary Torches 500 Hectares Of GM Corn To Eradicate GMOs From Food Supply (shiftfrequency.com)