RSS Feed

My DVT And Me

As some of you may know in February I was diagnosed with DVT/Deep Vein Thrombosis from my thigh down to my calve. All three veins had extensive clots throughout. Now since my discharge I’ve been on a strict diet, I have followed all Doctor’s orders to the letter, and have faithfully taken my blood thinners.

I have had regular ultrasounds to check the blood clots, and to make sure they are dissolving and not increasing. Well so far they have reduced in size and my left leg after five weeks finally went back to its normal size.  I was told that it could take up to a year for all the clots to disappear.

Well I have had a few minor setbacks due to being on the blood thinners, one is knee pain and the other is I broke two blood vessels in one eye due to excessive coughing from the flu I got three weeks ago. Other than that, I started driving again and staying active, without any real exercise since I am restricted at this time. For as bad as I was told by several doctors, I consider myself very lucky to be alive, and thankful.

Friday evening I notice my leg is starting to swell again, and I go in for my routine ultrasound.

All my blood clots except one  have reduced in size. Not the news I was hoping for, but since my leg started to swell a bit this weekend I already accepted that surgery would be in my near future, and since this particular clot is located above the knee I’m sure if I need surgery it will be scheduled fairly fast. Oh and this particular clot has not reduced at all.

So now i’ll be referred to a Vascular  Surgeon, from what I have read its “rare” for a person to need surgery to remove blood clots as some complication are stroke, a blood clot breaking free, developing additional clots just to name a few.  I already had to accept that a clot could break free and travel to my lungs, so I treat each day as a gift. And just when I started to feel like myself again I am hit with this. I am not one who looks for pity as I consider myself strong minded. This happened for a reason, what that reason is I am yet to figure it out.

One thing’s for certain. I love my blog and all the new people who have come into my life. I learned to appreciate all the little things and to be thankful. I have two awesome kids, well they are adults now, but very supportive every step of the way. They have kept me from wanting to jump off a bridge. So i’ll continue following doctors orders, and continue to blog what I love cooking and sharing with all of you.

Remember, were not promised tomorrow so live each day to its fullest, laugh more, smile more, love more, and eat more.

~Clarissa

Advertisements

About Dish With Clarissa

Clarissa Ellis grew up learning to cook with her mom. In a time where traditional home-cooked food was going out of style, Clarissa learned to love and make those simple 'comfort foods' and family favorites. As she grew - and her mom got busier with long work hours, Clarissa supported her mom by taking over most of the cooking duties around the home. By the time Clarissa started high school - she had absorbed her mother's approach to traditional, homestyle Italian dishes; and thanks to So Cal's great weather year round... a love of cooking on the grill. Fast forward 30 years and Clarissa has never stopped cooking. She continued to explore food, learning more from So Cal's amazing cultural variety, trying things out on her family and her friends... and always learning. Never content to merely cook a good meal, Clarissa developed the habit of talking sharing her ideas with family, friends and coworkers. After a lifetime of learning and experimenting, Clarissa's love affair with traditional Italian cooking, and 'comfort foods' has grown into a robust, creative and cross-cultural approach to cooking that still manages to remain 'accessible' to the rest of us. Now Clarissa brings her experience and her approach online through her blog - giving all of us a chance give ourselves, our friends and our family the benefits of a lifetime of passion and joy in cooking simply great meals.

12 responses »

1. Thank you for sharing, Clarissa. I hope all goes well with that stubborn clot!

2. I’m glad you are feeling better, but know it must be frustrating to to not be able to maintain the pace that you are accustomed to. Best wishes for a full recovery.

3. All the best Clarissa. I’ll be thinking of you. I hope the surgery works and you recover well. *hugs*

4. My MIL had to have surgery to replace a knee. To make a long story short she was also on the smallest amounts of blood thinners for at least half a year after a clog was discovered. There are some folks in her retirement home who are will remain on higher doses for the rest of their lives. Take heart…MIL just turned 90. While she has other issues now…every day is a gift that is why it is called the ‘present’.

I will continue to keep you in my thoughts for success in what ever is needed to make and keep you healthy. Hugs, hugs and more hugs.

5. I’ve been meaning to ask you how everything has been going. I’m glad to read that you have improved since you were diagnosed, apart from maybe requiring some surgery. At least the issue is being addressed, which can only mean good news from here, right? Lots of hugs and love being sent your way…

6. I hope all goes well!! Keep fighting the good fight!

7. jalal michael sabbagh.http://gravatar.com/jmsabbagh86@gmail.com

I pray you will over come the DVT.Thanks God we live in this Great USA .Few years ago when l had a severe heart attack l would if not made it if l was still in Iraq.Thank you for liking my post ( a letter to my son) .Be well.jalal

8. How did I miss this before! My heart goes out to you having to cope with all this. Take care.

• Hey
      No worries, I have come to terms with all this and i take it day by day. I have good days and bad days so i try to make the best out of each day no matter what. Thank you for your concern, its very appreciated.
      Clarissa

9. I truly missed this post and I’m so sorry I did … sending you blessings and see you in only good clean health. I’d like to offer you an affirmation to say often – “I awaken new life within me. I flow” as you envision your body wrapped in a warm glow of golden light and filled with joy!

I have been working on a post regarding DVT and how it affected me in the most positive way. Not that I was a bad person before, but I do look at life completely different now. Most likely i’ll have this blood clot for the remainder of my life, which means I have to continue with a lifestyle change and that’s been tough for me. I don’t want to spoil anymore, but thank you for your warm blessing.
      ~C

All Feedback Is Appreciated!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Bite Me up With Shreyu

Cooking up with smiles across miles

Truth No Fairy Tale