Summer is the season for many outdoor activities, from hiking, camping, boating at the river, or getting your tan on at the beach. It is also the season for smoked meats, pitchers of fresh squeezed lemonade, berries, and lots of watermelon to keep cool and refreshed. As the summer season starts to wind down some of these cool refreshing treats become a tad boring, or perhaps your tired of making yet another watermelon basket.
Watermelon is the go-to fruit of the beat the heat-wave gods. So as summer is in full swing and temperatures rise higher, the only thing I crave in this world is cold booze and watermelons, and boy do they go together.
If you like booze and watermelons, here is a simple proof recipe to combine the cool, refreshing, healthy fruit, that’s been saturated with booze.
Use a variety of watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe. Use a little alcohol or a lot, use Midori, Tequila, Rum, or Vodka. With using melons the sky is the limit on how creative you want to get, just have fun, beat the heat and of course always remember to….
Please Drink Responsibly
2 cups honeydew balls
3 cups watermelon balls
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup light rum or use a lot
1 Tbsp lemon zest
Juice of one lemon juice
1 Tbsp lime zest
Juice of half a lime
Make sure to clean the outside of your melons before you cut into them.
Using a melon baller scoop out and place in a large bowl, one you plan to serve in. you can also make a serving bowl out of the melon you are using.
Dissolve the sugar in the rum and add the lemon and lime juice.
Pour the liquid mixture over the melon balls and toss lightly to coat.
Sprinkle with lemon and lime zest.
Place in the refrigerator or freezer for one hour before serving. I kept mine in the freezer and the melon balls held all the delicious alcohol.
Toss again slightly before serving.
- Recipe: Watermelon Popsicles – Recipes from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- Mint-Kissed Melon Smoothie (getalittletaste.com)
- 17 Ways to Cool Off with Watermelon (wholefoodsmarket.com)
- Watermelon Strawberry-Lime Pops (vmmvblog.wordpress.com)
- Drink Your Melon with This Cocktail! Melon Stand Cocktail – The 10-Minute Happy Hour (thekitchn.com)
- Watermelon Watermelon!!! (tigertailgate.wordpress.com)
- July ~ Watermelon Lemonade (creativelyhomemade.wordpress.com)
- Watermelon Martini (3martinislater.com)